Friday, April 19, 2013

A Bird Cage and my Heart

I have a thing or two to tell
About a heart that goes amiss.
Now you may have heard
Of stories of hearts and empty rib cages;
Of men who gave them freely,
Or stowed them away for safe keeping.
You may have heard of that old tin man
Who all he never had was a beating little heart.

But those men are foolish
And careless in way.
Why, with a soul like that,
Any heart wouldn't stay.
And what does that metal man think
That he's miserable with no heart.
Well he's never had a heart to begin with;
How should he know?

Well I've got a tale
Of a cage without a heart.
It all begins with me,
And the tale of my heart.

You see had a heart,
Very lovely and fair.
I loved it terribly much
And it, I assumed the same
  But unfortunately it wasn't so,
For it had found it dreary;
Too lonely in its cage.

And so upon one day
When I was out and about,
It twiddle and fiddled
With the link upon the cage.

Finding it a bit bizarre
To see my heart behave this way,
I foolishly opened me up
To ask what of the matter.

With fortune of opportunity
My dearest heart took flight.
 And off away he went 
Without me to depart.

I ran so hard and as swift as I could
But one without a heart
Loses hope to run so far.

And so away it went
Forever from my cage
There's nothing more unnerving
Than to lose what gave you love.

And so when you cross by
That guffy man and rusty man,
Remember how ungrateful
Those foolish men have been

For I loved mine just so
As any girl would do.
But none could feel such greif
than one who's heart flew and left.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't know you could write like this! Write some more! This is amazing!

    This is really your poem, isn't it? Suits you to a T. I like how the bird is red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is really my poem. I know this sounds really stupid, but what's a T?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I just meant that it really suits you(to a T). And I knew that it was your poem, of course. I just meant that it couldn't have been written by anyone else: "This is really your poem, isn't it?" It suited you so well.

      Delete